Bookworm game info
Click on the letters you want to use to create a word. You can only select adjacent letters. Once you have formed the word you had in mind, click on submit and Lex the bookworm will eat the letter tiles you selected. New letters will be provided so there are always new options to explore.
Don't find any words in the field? Click on Lex to scramble all the letter tiles and get a new field to work with! Be careful though, this costs points.
In the original version, bonus words were displayed beneath Lex the bookworm starting from round 2. Forming these bonus words boosted your score. This feature is unfortunately removed from the version we currently have on our website.
There are several special tiles that can appear throughout the game.
- Burning tiles: Beware of red burning tiles, if they reach the bottom of the field they will set the library on fire and you lose the game. Form a word using the burning tiles as soon as possible. You get fewer red tiles if you create longer words.
- Green tiles: These are bonus tiles that appear random throughout the game and increase the word score you can achieve.
- Gold tiles: These tiles can be earned if a word of 5 letters or more is created. These tiles are even worth more points than the green tiles.
- Diamond and Sapphire tiles: These are even more special tiles that can be earned if a word containing 2 or more gold or green tiles is formed. These result in a large score.
The score for a word is calculated based on four elements:
- Word length: As mentioned before, the longer the word, the higher the score will be.
- Letter scarcity: The usage of scarce letters is beneficial for the score. The scarcity of the letter is indicated on the tile with the yellow dots in the right bottom. The more yellow dots indicated, the higher the score that is obtained when using this letter.
- Reward tiles: The usage of special (reward) tiles in a word increases the score.
- Level: The score for a word depends on the level in the game that is being played.
The way words are scored resembles a lot how words in Scrabble are scored.
Tips and tricks
- Bookworm doesn’t have a time limit, so don’t rush to create a word. Take your time to assess the different options you have and which word will bring in the most points.
- Try to create long words. This will result in higher scores and avoids fire tiles to be added. Additionally, if you make words with 5 or more letters, special gold tiles will appear. To create long words, look for suffixes such as ing, er, ed, and tion and see if you can add them to a word.
- To further improve your score, always look to use special tiles in the words you make, as these improve your score enormously. Also keep an eye on the bonus word, it will also result in a higher score.
- When you are stuck, you can click on Lex to scramble the board.
Bookworm is a word game developed by PopCap Games, released in 2003. The game was such a success that a follow-up game extension ‘Bookworm Adventures’ was released in 2006.
More word games
Can't get enough of word games? Give Text Twist 2, Word Ruffle or 7 Words a go! If you like Scrabble, try Scrabble Online, Scrabble Blast or Scrabble Sprint.
Bookworm can be played in all modern browsers, on all device types (desktop, tablet, mobile), and on all operating systems (Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, iOS, ...).