- Scrabble Online
Scrabble Online game info
Form words using the letter tiles on your rack. Increase your move score by using high-value letters, creating long words, and placing your word on the premium squares (double/ triple letter score, double/ triple word score). Enjoy the scrabble experience against a computer opponent with five difficulty levels. The Scrabble word game is much more interesting than a crossword game or a word search game.
The goal in Scrabble is to score as many points as possible by placing high-value words on the board.
The English language Scrabble is played with 100 letter tiles. Each tile has an amount of points, ranging from 1 point for the most common letters (vowels and L, N, R, T) to 10 points for the most uncommon letters (Q, Z).
The amount of times that a letter tile appears also depends on how common it is. The letter E appears 12 times in the 100 tiles, while uncommon letters such as J, K, Q, X, and Z only appear once.
Below is an overview of the letter distribution and the points per letter in English language scrabble:
A: 9x - 1 point
B: 2x - 3 points
C: 2x - 3 points
D: 4x - 2 points
E: 12x - 1 point
F: 2x - 4 points
G: 3x - 2 points
H: 2x - 4 points
I: 9x - 1 point
J: 1x - 8 points
K: 1x - 5 points
L: 4x - 1 point
M: 2x - 3 points
N: 6x - 1 point
O: 8x - 1 point
P: 2x - 3 points
Q: 1x - 10 points
R: 6x - 1 point
S: 4x - 1 point
T: 6x - 1 point
U: 4x - 1 point
V: 2x - 4 points
W: 2x - 4 points
X: 1x - 8 points
Y: 2x - 4 points
Z: 1x - 10 points
Blanks: 2x - 0 points
At the start of the game, each player receives 7 letter tiles on their rack. In our implementation you play against the computer, and you can make the first move.
Each move you can create one word on the board, using the letter tiles on your rack.
The first word has to be placed with one of its letters on the purple star in the middle of the board.
Subsequent words need to be placed adjacent to at least one letter already on the board. Each word that is created with the letters already on the board has to be a valid word as well.
If you are not happy with the letters on your rack, you can swap them with letters from the bag, or you can pass a turn.
On the board, there are multiple premium (special) squares that increase your word score when a letter is placed on them:
- Double Letter square: The letter placed on this square counts double when calculating the word score.
- Triple Letter square: The letter placed on this square counts triple when calculating the word score.
- Double Word square: The word score (including double / triple letter scores) is doubled.
- Triple Word square: The word score (including double / triple letter scores) is tripled.
According to your skill level, you can select the difficulty of your computer opponent from level 1 to level 5.
When there are no tiles left in the bag and a player empties their rack, the game ends.
The tiles left in the other player’s rack are deducted from their score.
Tips and tricks
- Study as many words as possible with two and three letters. It will make it easier to place a word adjacent to another word.
- Use prefixes or suffixes to get extra points from an existing word, e.g. adding -ING or -ED at the end of a word.
- Try to use the bonus squares before your opponent can use them.
- Practice, practice, practice! Our implementation is the perfect practice mode to improve your Scrabble skills for when you play real-world opponents.
Our implementation of Scrabble can be played in any web browser, and is best viewed on tablet or desktop screens.